Wednesday, January 18, 2017

THE REAL DEAL


If you are looking for REAL artwork to decorate your humble abode or extravagant one. You won’t find it at Walmart, the Dollar Stores or Macy’s. Believe it or not… I’m going to tell you to start shopping at ‘thrifts’ for it. You can tastefully decorate using REAL canvases. The selection of local artists on their shelves and walls and in their bins,  is simply amazing. And it can be much more  affordable than some of the fake stuff out there. Watercolors, oils, acrylics, pen & inks are easily found. Of course… so are posters and decorator stuff,  too, if that is what you prefer. I found an amazing Caribbean oil painting of a village in a rainstorm that I nagged for only $8.00. It easily could have been priced for $200 elsewhere. It was perfect for our wall and folks are none the wiser… it came from a thrift shop, instead of a juried art show or island getaway.



Real gems are out there if you look. But you have to be willing to put in the time. The scenes and locations in each picture will melt your heart.  I guarantee it. And… I’m sure, you’ll find one that speaks to you and is just waiting to accompany you home. So keep your eyes open to the possibilities of REAL art, that is original.  It’s more affordable than you think.  

3 comments:

  1. When we were going through hubby's parents' stuff, they had a lot of artwork. I tried to find the value (if any) of some of them but could never quite figure out their worth (if any). Finally, we had a garage sale, put the stuff out, some sold, some didn't, gave the rest to Goodwill. I will never know if we ended up giving away something that was potentially worth anything. But indeed it might have been someone else's treasure, like the picture you found for your abode!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did a similar thing when my in-laws passed. Now I know better.

      Delete
  2. Good tip! These days I'm still in a sort of 'purging' mode .... but remember all the times I used to spend in art-print shops in the mall, looking for something that spoke to my heart. For some reason, the thought of a blank wall filled me with angst. (LOL)

    When we finally get around to retiring/moving, I'll definitely take the time to check out thrift shops!

    ReplyDelete